Whether in the classroom or with my kids at home, one thing I’m always reaching for is a notepad to write down ideas, or send a quick note to a parent or student. And it’s always more fun if the notes are written on something cute and personalized.
Here’s a fun way to dig into your clip art stash and expand the use by creating your own personalized stationary!
1. Choose images from your clip art stash, or download something new for your custom design. (May I suggest?)
2. Decide where you’ll print your stationary so you can determine what size to create your document, as well as the trim size and margin setting. Will you be using your home printer or a print shop? You won’t want to go to all the work of creating, only to have some of your design cut off during the printing process.
In this tutorial example, I’m printing through Vistaprint. I’ve used them many times before for inexpensive custom printed products, and appreciate that they provide upload specs and downloadable template guides so I can easily design my product within the safety margin. (Another bonus! Purchasing through this Vistaprint link will give you a $10 off coupon code.)
Design Your Stationary Using Clip Art
3. Once you determine the document size and safety margin, design your stationary using the borders and clip art of your choice. For a more custom look, try layering clip art pieces to create new designs.
Don’t forget to add your name, classroom information, a quote, or anything else to personalize your design.
In this example, I purposely went over the “safety margin” with my clip art images so the crayon border would “bleed” all the way to the edge of the paper when printed.
4. Once your design is completed, turn off or delete the safety guide so it doesn’t print on your final product.
5. Save your design in the format of your choice. It will depend on the graphics program you’re creating in, but my go-to formats for a flattened document are JPEG or PDF. If you plan to print somewhere besides your home printer, check to see what file formats you’re able to upload.
6. Upload the completed file to the printer of your choice.
7. Once printed, send a note on your newly created custom stationary!
All these custom stationary samples were created using FREE School Supplies Clip Art. If you’d to like to download this set, enter your information below to receive links for the subscriber exclusive clip art and join Keeping Life Creative’s Clip Art list. From time to time, you can expect to receive clip art tips, project ideas, updates, more clip art freebies (!) and other high quality content.