Happy Groundhog Day!
According to the legend, on February 2nd the groundhog emerges from its burrow. If it does not see its shadow, it will come out of hibernation, leave the burrow, and there will be six more weeks until spring. But if the groundhog does see its shadow, it goes back to its burrow and there will be six more weeks of winter.
A while back I was explaining the tradition to my husband, and he said, “Six weeks until spring or six more weeks of winter–that’s the same thing!” Yeah, that’s why it’s funny :).
I don’t know about you, but I’m sure hoping for six weeks ’til spring as I’ve got a bit of cabin fever. So, since it’s groundhog day AND Wednesday, I thought maybe we could all use a little mid-week, winter-blahs treat 🙂
(P.S. These are digital scrapbooking PNG elements. P.P.S. I did give this out last year, so you may already have it.)
More fun ideas if you’re also experiencing winter cabin fever:
- Watch Groundhog Day (CLASSIC!)
- Make Groundhog Pudding Cups by Domesticated Lady
- Lots of fun Shadow Play by Family Fun
- Yummy Groundhog Cupcakes by Family Fun
- Trace shadows outside with sidewalk chalk
- Create silhouette art (“shadow” art)
- Make shadow pictures on the wall
- Read: Gregory’s Shadow
- Read: Go to Sleep Groundhog
- Read: The Groundhog Day Book of Facts and Fun
Here’s to hoping spring is on it’s way!