We LOVE this one-dish meal. The sweet cornbread topping is the perfect compliment to the spicy filling, and a dollop of sour cream cools it down.
Mexican Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 (8.5 ounce) packages corn muffin mix, prepared
Cook and drain ground beef. Add salsa, taco seasoning and water. Bring to boil and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Transfer to 9×13 pan and top evenly with cheese. Top with black beans and corn. Prepare the corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spread evenly over the beans and corn. Bake 25 – 30 minutes at 400*, until cornbread is done.
Estimated cost for our meal (I halved the recipe and made it an 8×8 pan for 6 servings):
- 1 lb. lean ground beef: manager’s special for $1.20/lb
- 1/2 can Rotel: $0.19 (bought on sale with a coupon for $0.38 a can)
- taco seasoning: FREE (after coupon)
- 1 cup black beans (cooked from dry): $0.20
- 1 cup frozen corn: ~$0.10 (bag was $0.30 after coupon)
- 1 cup shredded cheese: $0.50
- 1 box cornbread mix: $0.43
- 1 egg (for cornbread): $0.08
- 1/3 cup milk (for cornbread): not much
- sour cream: $0.25
Final Cost: $2.45!!